PROJECT: Jefferson Barracks Cemetery Expansion Phase 5 A&B
LOCATION: St. Louis, MO
Established in 1826, Jefferson Barracks was the first permanent military installation west of the Mississippi, and was a critical training and medical facility during the Civil War. The national cemetery was officially established in 1866. The existing cemetery was out of new grave sites, so Bloomsdale Excavating (BE) was contracted to provide site grading and demolition on a new 7.5 acre expansion which included storm drainage and retaining wall construction allowing the VA Cemetery to add 6,241 new plots.
Jefferson Barracks Cemetery provides up to 10 funerals each day. As such, extensive project planning ensured minimal disruptions to services by routing trucks through alternate paths, thereby avoiding funeral traffic.
Originally this project included an early turnover phase within 175 days, however due to unforeseen conditions the general contractor and BE worked with the VA to meet an alternate early turnover phase. In total 5 crypt fields were precisely excavated allowing new crypts to be placed within 1/16" in any direction per military burial regulations.
Site quantities included:
• 30,000 CY of crypt field material excavation/export
• 4,300 LF of crypt field underdrain system installation
• 3,300 CY of retaining wall excavation/export
• 5,500 CY of onsite grading•1,515 LF of storm sewer
• 3,200 tons of aggregate base
• Form and pour 3,750 LF of concrete curb and gutter
• 3,570 CY of manufactured topsoil imported/placed